Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Alan Wake "Sequel", PSN Reboots, and Dark Souls Trailer

A few pieces of news that I found today and one new trailer. PSN is still down and I'm done making any predictions as to when it will come back up (though I haven't made any on this blog). A "sequel" to a game that I enjoyed is not really a sequel nor DLC and another sequel that's not really a sequel gets a new trailer.


Alright first up, PSN is still down. I'm finished even thinking about when it will come back up. Today I read three different possibilities. One said that it would be fully functional again by May 31st. Another said it would be up in a few days and finally one said that it wouldn't be up until June.

Now to be fair, the one that said that it would be back up in a few more days could just be talking about basic functionality and/or online play. Things like DLC and PSN Plus perks might be the ones that come later with full functionality.

However, I'm taking all of this with a grain of salt as PSN was supposed to come up last week. And then some more shit was hit when it was reported that security was outdated and without firewalls and hackers threatened to hit Sony again. So I suggest you all take those with a grain of salt as well.


It was kind of a love it or hate it game, but I enjoyed Alan Wake. It had a unique method of storytelling and paid a great deal of homage to Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft (who along with Edgar Allan Poe, I consider the god of horror). It was atmospheric and the scenery was brilliant with some really creepy moments.


A leak came out that a sequel was being made. The official announcement hasn't been made yet but Remedy has said that it is related to Alan Wake. They have also said that it is not a direct sequel or DLC. Remedy said that they will probably release more official information about the game this fall 2011.

I really don't know what they're doing so if you want me to go into more detail, I unfortunately can't. I still thought it was interesting because I did enjoy the first game and partly BECAUSE I know so little about what they are doing with this. Let's just hope this game doesn't enter development hell like its predecessor.


Finally, I am very excited for the release of Dark Souls. Demon's Souls was one of the best games of 2009 with its punishing yet reasonable difficulty, deep RPG mechanics and character customization, and fun hack-n-slash gameplay.


A new trailer for Dark Souls got released today and it's not incredibly in-depth, but there are some interesting monster designs, one of which reminds me a little of a small-version Clotho from God of War II. This is not a direct sequel to Demon's Souls as that game really didn't have much of a story or character development. Think of it as a spiritual successor.

I'm a little sad about the release window: October 2011, the same month Arkham City is getting released. Arkham City gets my pick but if I can find a way to pick up both for a reasonable amount of money I'm jumping. Damn, October and November are just to crowded.

No comments:

Post a Comment