Sunday, June 3, 2012

Blog Resuscitated: Updates, Trailers and News

I'm back. Yes it's been a long while since the last post but I've been swamped. The last semester was brutal and I've also been hunting for internships for a while now.

So what's the position of the blog now?

Well, as for the Mass Effect 3 review, it feels too late now. I'll sum it up though. The game is spectacular with a crappy last 10 minutes. You've probably heard that before and it's because it's true. I do highly recommend it, but just be wary of those last 10 minutes. Before that though, it's an incredibly emotionally-engaging storyline with moments that are almost guaranteed to move you to tears.

Now, as for the for the Metal Gear retrospective. I'm currently putting that on hold in favor of a Metroid retrospective. The Metal Gear one will also come but I want a good amount of time and planning to get that down. Metroid will be much easier to handle.

Retro reviews will be starting up again later this summer with Baldur's Gate series.

Finally, E3 starts tomorrow so get ready for a slew of posts to make up for the lack over the past month and a half.
__________________________________

Harley Quinn's Revenge


First up, my thoughts on the Harley Quinn DLC for Batman: Arkham City.

For those of you who forgot my thoughts on the main game, I'll refresh. Arkham City was, simply put, the best game I played all year last year. It's gameplay was simply impeccable, it's open-world design well-executed, it had a twisting and solid storyline with excellent voice acting and some of the most sadistic portrayals of certain Batman villains ever.

Now as for Harley Quinn's Revenge, I was unsatisfied. As you would expect the gameplay is similar but the design is limited only to the Industrial Mill of Arkham City. It really comes down to the story though.

Following the events of the main game, Harley Quinn has become even more unhinged and psychotic than she already was. This is the part that was well-executed. The writing and voice acting from the incredibly talented Tara Strong really give off an even more deranged persona than there was in the main game.

The part that disappointed me was Batman. They say throughout the entire DLC that he's not been himself since the end of the main game. And that is never looked into beyond that. I suppose it's hinting at future DLC or the sequel (whenever that comes) but it left me wanting more from this.
__________________________________

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance Trailer

I've been very mixed on the stuff that I've seen for the new Metal Gear game. The new trailer shown at Konami's pre-E3 press conference still has me mixed.


Okay, on the one hand, the gameplay looks excellent and really fun. I wouldn't expect any different from Platinum Games, the makers of freaking Bayonetta.

The problem is that it doesn't feel like Metal Gear. That for me is not a huge problem but it's still something that currently bothers me. Maybe the story will give it the Metal Gear feel but I'm just not quite getting it right now.



Well, that's it for now. Tomorrow E3 begins.

Compsoles is back!

No comments:

Post a Comment