Tuesday, June 5, 2012

E3 2012 - South Park: The Stick of Truth


I've been unexpectedly excited about the new South Park RPG since it was announced. Given how crappy most television tie-in games have been and how crappy of a track record South Park has with video games (one or two downloadable games aside), what made me excited about this?

Primarily, it's developer: Obsidian Entertainment. Obsidian is very much a "love it or hate it" developer and for understandable reasons. The RPGs they develop usually have a great amount of depth and great writing, but they're also known for being bugged up the ass and for feeling unfinished. I might talk more about Obsidian as the game comes closer to release but my overall opinion is that they're a developer that makes great titles that unfortunately don't meet their full potential.

Hopefully that will be broken here, but no matter what I'm thinking that we can expect a quality RPG with a good amount of depth to it.

Another reason I'm excited is that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are getting a lot of creative control. This really didn't happen with South Park games in the past which were probably a factor in their poor quality.

I'm posting two videos here. The first is Matt and Trey talking about the game briefly at the Microsoft press conference. The second is the trailer itself.


And now for the trailer.

WARNING: The trailer below has anti-semitic remarks and foul language...but if those trouble you then why the hell are you watching a trailer for a South Park game.



As has been stated before, the game will be a turn-based RPG. I don't know exactly why they went this route instead of real-time so don't ask me. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just curious why they took that style.

You'll also be able to choose between five opening classes: Fighter, Mage, Thief, Cleric and...Jew. The offensive humor is definitely there as seen by the trailer and the classes themselves. Definitely a plus.

I also laughed my ass off when I saw Professor Chaos. No not the small one, but the freakishly huge one with the anime art-style from the excellent episode, Good Times with Weapons.

Overall, I'm quite excited about this and can't wait for March 5 which will see the release of both this and Tomb Raider.

No comments:

Post a Comment