Tuesday, June 5, 2012

E3 2012: Tomb Raider - My Faith Restored


I feel like I was one of the few people who was unimpressed by Tomb Raider's showing at E3 last year. The cinematic trailer was great showing that it would primarily be more like a survival story than just a treasure hunt which, let's be honest, Uncharted has pretty much hijacked at this point.

However, the gameplay trailer did not impress me. All I saw were a bunch of quicktime events. Now I'm not one of those who hates all quicktime events but an enormous amount are not good. I should also clarify that it depends on the game and I don't like a lot of them in a game like Tomb Raider.

This recent trailer has restored my faith in this being the potentially strong reboot that this franchise really needs.


The emphasis on the survival continues showing brutal attempts by Lara to do so on a seemingly deserted island. I'm hoping there's a bigger emphasis on platforming in order to separate it from Uncharted. I know that Tomb Raider was first but at this point, Uncharted has such a foothold that Tomb Raider needs to distinguish itself from it.

From what I can hear, the voice acting is iffy in places and definitely needs some work, but giving Lara Croft a vulnerability looks like it might work great.

Some have stated that they're worried about this turning into Other M, but there are key differences between this and Other M which I know of even before the game is out. If I see any comparisons continue I might make a post about that but I really hope people can see the differences themselves so that won't be necessary.

Overall, still some worries, but this left a much better impression on me than last year's showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment