Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Requiem for a Dream Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3

According to an article I found on IGN, Hollywood film composer Clint Mansell will be composing the score for Mass Effect 3. Clint Mansell is most well known for the scores he has composed for director Darren Aronofsky who's credits include Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, and the recent Black Swan and he's also composed Moon and Smokin Aces among others.

His main track for Requiem for a Dream has become incredibly well known, used in many trailers and for many YouTube videos as well to give a feeling of epicness, atmosphere, and emotion.


Seeing how Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 are two of my all time favorites and Mass Effect 3 is my most anticipated game of 2011, I felt I needed to comment on this. On one hand, I'm a little sad to see that Jack Wall, the composer for the first two games, won't be composing this. The scores for ME1 and ME2 were both amazing.

On the other hand, Clint Mansell is a really talented composer who, as I mentioned earlier, is able to fuse an epic and also horrific feeling with powerful emotion which is EXACTLY what Mass Effect 3 needs being the end of the trilogy, especially in a series as story-driven and with characters as well-written as in this.

In the end, I'm happy with this even if I'm a little sad to see Jack Wall's not doing the score. Clint Mansell has a good reputation and one that I can vouch for. I'm very curious to see how he'll score this and make this trilogy conclusion one for the ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment