Saturday, July 30, 2011

Red Dead DLC, Vampire Bloodlines Sale, Snake Eater 3D Delayed, and Battlefield 3 on Consoles

A few pieces of news before I leave for San Diego (though if the place I'm staying in has good wireless, expect a lot more blog posts this week).

First up DLC for Red Dead Redemption.


One of the best games of 2010, and of this generation as a whole, is still getting supported by Rockstar a year after it came out. This in the form of a new piece of downloadable content titled Myths and Mavericks. It's a multiplayer expansion adding new characters to play as and new maps the different modes in the game. Best of all, it's FREE!!! The DLC is expected to be released in September though I haven't seen a definitive date yet.

I don't expect it to outdo Undead Nightmare which, along with Lair of the Shadow Broker for Mass Effect 2, was the best DLC of last year but it is free, so I won't complain. And now I'm having fond memories of Undead Nightmare, what a great idea. Anyone else find it ironic that the alternate timeline of a zombie apocalypse was less depressing than the main story of the game?

__________________________________________________________________


Often considered one of the great cult classics of the game industry, Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines is now 75% off on Steam for the rest of the weekend. The game is currently on $5, and it is well worth that price if you enjoy a great RPG. In many ways it feels like a successor to Deus Ex.

I'm planning on doing a retro review on this game at a later date, but if you haven't had a chance to play it yet, go pick it up now while this deal is going. Also look for some internet patches to fix many of the numerous bugs in the game.

__________________________________________________________________


The 3DS port for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater has been delayed to 2012. This news doesn't really concern me as I own Snake Eater (or the expansion, Subsistence) on my PS2, but as this game is one of my Top 3 games of all time, I never miss a chance to gush about its greatness.

With it's outstanding stealth gameplay, parody of 60s sci-fi films, excellent character driven story, and absolutely GUT-WRENCHING ending (I still cry), this game is a masterpiece. For those of you with a 3DS who have never played it but wanted to know what was so great about it, you'll have to wait a few more months, sorry.

__________________________________________________________________


Finally, Battlefield 3 was a game made for the PCs which is why I'm getting it for the PC. However, DICE has come out to explain the ways they'll be cutting back on the console versions of the game. DICE has explained that they do not expect a huge difference but 64 players per game compared to 24 shows the limitations for the console versions.

Maps are also apparently going to be scaled back to allow the game to run at a consistent rate while still using the same graphical engine and power of the PC version with maybe a few cut corners. Like I said, while I'm mostly a console gamer, this is just a game that I feel was made with the PC in mind, so if my PC can take it then I'm a picking for that.

__________________________________________________________________

Well as for the blog, I've currently got another retro review that I'll be posting later this week (not the ones I planned unfortunately), plus a new kind of review I'm doing for games that came out earlier this gen that I just never reviewed on here. Finally, my 100th blog post will be going up this week with a special tribute to one of my favorite franchises. Take note that it will be quite a long post but I've been planning to do this for months.

No comments:

Post a Comment