Saturday, December 17, 2011

2011 VGAs

Hey guys, the blog is back to being updated again. Sorry, midterms really f'ed up with everything.

Anyways, I know I'm a week late but it's time to go over some stuff from the VGAs. Now I did not watch because they're just a giant commercial. Mark Hamill and Tara Strong (the voices of the Joker and Harley Quinn in Batman: Arkham City) were rightfully pissed about their shitty treatment at the VGAs. But like the whore that I am, I'm still going to show off some results from that giant commercial.

So on that note, let's get into trailers.

First up is the new IP from Naughty Dog, The Last of Us. Their stuff is always top-notch so I've got high expectations for this.


Okay first of all, does anyone else think that the girl looks EXACTLY like Ellen Page?

The trailer itself seems to carry a 28 Days Later I Am Legend vibe to it. 28 Days Later being one of my favorite horror films can always attract me if something has that vibe. It appears that it takes place long after the outbreak of a plague given the girl doesn't seem to know anything before the outbreak. With this game, I think we can expect beautiful graphics and a solid, character-driven storyline. I look forward to this.
__________________________________________________________________

Now for the trailer for Mass Effect 3. In the GameInformer article from March/April, they talked about a scene where a Reaper fights a Thresher Maw. Well, we get the opening moments of that fight in this trailer.



Some have complained about it showing no gameplay beyond running but I don't think it was meant to do that. It's a setpiece trailer.

Also, if you watch when Shepard hits the button to call the Thresher Maw, you can see XP points pop up, indicating that BioWare is bringing back XP for individual tasks rather than for just completing missions. Still my most anticipated game, can't wait.
__________________________________________________________________

Speaking of BioWare, there's a new studio opening up that's under the BioWare name and they've finally revealed what the new game is that they're making. It's a Command and Conquer game. The series had a rough year last year with a very disappointing release that turned some people off. But here's the trailer for Command and Conquer: Generals 2.

__________________________________________________________________

Diablo III is set to be one of the biggest releases of 2012 and with good reason. It's been a long-time in the making, it's made by Blizzard, and it's coming a well-respected franchise. The trailer shown at the VGA shows the opening cinematic for the game.


Blizzard always has great cinematics and this is exactly the kind of stuff that I expect from them and Diablo. Also is that Jennifer Hale as Leah? That alone is good thing
__________________________________________________________________

It's been a long time since we've seen anything from Metal Gear Solid Rising and now we know why. The original product got cancelled and wasn't progressing properly. So the development got moved to Platinum Games with Kojima still writing the story.

The new title of the game is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and still stars Raiden as the cyborg ninja. This has caught a lot of flak but I don't really know why. Platinum Games has been consistently excellent from Day 1 and made arguably the greatest 3D hack-n-slash in history: Bayonetta.

Yeah I doubt the gameplay is going to be like other Metal Gear games but we've turn-based dice-roll Metal Gear games. Not canon and not all that good but still. If it's a hack-n-slash game, being made by freaking Platinum Games, I'm all for it. A wait and see game but I'm excited.

__________________________________________________________________

Epic Games showed off their new IP and I like the look of it. It's a zombie game but with other kinds of creatures as well.


I also like the animated look to it. It really fits the mood that it appears they're trying to go for. Looks cool, hope to see more of it soon.
__________________________________________________________________

Finally, another big release for 2012 is Bioshock Infinite. The game has been looking great and why not with the awesomeness of Ken Levine working on it.


What can I say? I'm a sucker for these kinds of trailers, whether it's a movie or a video game. Peaceful music set against a violent backdrop. It works great and especially fits the world of Bioshock. Some gameplay shown but not much but even with that, Bioshock has always had great trailers to hook people in.


Well that's it. There are a few other trailers but these I feel are, for the most, the ones that carried the games the most. I'm excited for quite a few of them and curious about a few others. I'll be putting up some trailers for Kingdoms of Amalur later tonight as well, so stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta say that the Mass Effect 3 trailer really has me pumped. I'm Commander Shepard and that is my favorite trailer from the VGAs. Is it just me or does that Thresher Maw seem way bigger than any we've encountered before? I'm glad it's on our side (please?).

    As a C&C fan - though one who's been unable to play the recent games on his PC because it's so damn old - I was at first really happy to see Bioware taking on this task. But now I'm a little concerned about just how this new studio has any connection to Bioware beyond the name. Is EA sticking the name on this studio for the sole purpose of brand recognition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely bigger. In fact, they alluded to this in the Cerberus News Network, a colossal thresher maw. It helps that the reaper is much smaller than the others.

    As for the BioWare developed C&C, it's just a brand name. That's one unfortunate side-effect of BioWare going under EA, they just put companies under the BioWare name with no relation beyond that. This one was originally just called Victory Studios but is now called BioWare Victory.

    ReplyDelete